TyreSafe – Tyre Safety Month
While the need to carry out regular tyre checks may seem obvious an alarming number of Britain’s motorists are replacing their tyres only when they have already become illegal and dangerous. If they carried out #TyreChecks, this avoidable safety issue could be rectified.
- Potentially over 10 million illegal and dangerous tyres could be on Britain’s roads in 2016
- Tread depth has a decisive influence on the way your vehicle accelerates, brakes and corners
- Safe tyres with legal tread depth will reduce the risks to you, your passengers and all road users
- Driving on tyres with illegal tread depth not only reduces your safety on the road but also risks a fine of up to £2,500 and three penalty points for each illegal tyre
Facts & figures
TyreSafe’s survey found that more than 27% of people replaced their tyres when they were already illegal, that could mean over 10 million illegal and dangerous tyres on Britain’s roads in 2016.
- The total number of casualties resulting from tyre-related incidents over last five reported years* is 5,677 of which 989 people were killed or seriously injured, annually averaging 1135 and 198 respectively
- Where casualties arise from an accident caused by a vehicle defect, tyres are the single largest contributory factor over the last five reported years*, accounting for 36% of the total
- The estimated cost of tyre-related incidents to the economy over the last five reported years* is £416 million, averaging £83.2 million annually
- Annually, 2.2 million cars fail the MoT due to tyre-related defects**
- TyreSafe’s survey in partnership with Highways England revealed potentially up to 10 million, or more than one-in-four cars and vans on Britain’s roads, was driven with an illegal and dangerous tyre in 2016***
*DfT five years to 2014
**DVSA 2012 to 2014
***Phase one and two of the TyreSafe survey in partnership with Highways England
For our latest prices, and to book your new tyres, just fill in your registration number or tyre size below...
Search by vehicle registration number
Search by tyre size